Significant challenges of seafarers

What were the most significant challenges you faced at seafarer life?

1 Like

An unanticipated shift in tide levels can leave ships and vessels stranded for days and may also lead to costly accidents. I did not face with this problem but my friend did

1 Like

@mirac

yeah it is potential danger at ports

1 Like

Port congestion has been a dilemma for decades, and the problem is getting worse with the introduction of mega-ships. Over the past ten years, most vessels have doubled in capacity and are getting bigger and bigger over time. Ironically, most ports remain same, and there are hardly any plans to renovate or expand them.

1 Like

@piolo

what is the reason for this ?

1 Like

@yevgeny

Congestion has been caused by lack of coordination among terminal operators. The procedures they use are shambolic and outdated

1 Like

@piolo

thank you for explanation

1 Like

@ram

interesting i have never heard it before

1 Like

An unanticipated shift in tide levels can leave ships and vessels stranded for days and may also lead to costly accidents. Therefore, it is one of main problems for seafarers

1 Like

License registration is significant challenge. Today, maximum seafarers working on ships belongs to countries such as Philippines, Ukraine, China, Bangladesh, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka, and are employed on flags of countries such as Belize, Marshal Islands etc. One of the main issues faced by the shipping industry today is the emergency of registries such as Belize and Marshal Islands.

@mkyt74

and some countries do not take any corrective action

1 Like

@yichen

Yeah, but some countries such as Philippines and Ukraine have started taking this issue seriously and therefore their seafarers are being benefited by enhanced quality training provided to them. Sadly, Indian institutes are not paying enough attention on skill development and are those lacking in quality of seafarers. Probably that is also the reason that fresh deck cadets and junior engineers are not getting jobs easily.

@mkyt74

very good summary of situation, finding job for fresh seafarers is really hard and most companies are only looking for experienced one. Now it is not serious issue, but it will be in near future

@yichen

I expect that after several years companies will not find any seafarer to operate, either they should automate the operation via AI and minimize the workforce need

1 Like

@mkyt74

therefore, universities should change their syllabus, they should educate seafarers candidate to understand technology and with with AI

@yichen

it does not sound applicable for future

@ram

why do you think so

1 Like

being away from your loved ones, dealing with tough seas - what I repeatedly heard from many seafarers. what you do is admirable, thank you for all the hard work. I hope as MagicPort team we will be able to make your experience better with our products.

1 Like

Yes it was a good explanation

How about the chaos of port call? I hear sometimes the captain may be sleepless over 36 hours - because they have to stay up to handle all cargo operations, deliveries, supplies and services (which require signing and payment by master sometimes), port state controls, etc. I wonder where this ranks among all the hardships of seafarer life.

1 Like