Russia Ukraine war effects on shipping routes?

Did the war affect shipping routes in the Black Sea? Do fewer ships go to Russian and Ukrainian ports? I remember there were talks on drifting sea mines a couple of months back.

1 Like

I don’t have all the details but, the following is a striking figure for the container shipping deployment for the Russian Federation and Ukraine (TEU capacity), from the UNCTAD report:

As you can see Ukraine’s numbers have essentially dropped to zero due to occupation of the coastal regions and capturing of the ports, whereas Russia’s numbers have halved, compared to pre-war years.

2 Likes

Wow, that puts it into the picture. It all moves through railways and roads I guess.

1 Like

Yes indeed. The drop in bulk carrier capacity is a bit less dramatic, partially due to the UN Grain Deal that was brokered by the United Nations and Turkey, which allows Ukraine to ship food and fertilizer through a humanitarian corridor from Black Sea ports.

1 Like

Based on the statistics from Turkish government change is not that dramatic. 9% decrease in ship count and 14% decrease in cargo tonnage.

@sinan-ansen, no detailed info about this but found some articles that might be useful:

1 Like

The biggest effect of the war on shipping, according to Allianz, has been on vessels operating in the Black Sea and/ or trading with Russia. Ukraine’s major ports, including that of Odessa, were closed due to the conflict, which had a drastic impact on a country that ships over 70% of its exports, including 99% of its corn exports. Meanwhile, hundreds of vessels were trapped in ports or at anchor while thousands of crews faced an uncertain future, unable to leave vessels or return home.

1 Like

It definitely increased the traffic in Turkish straits. I have strait agent friends who says it is so congested right now. It also increased popularity of shipyards in Turkey. All russian flag vessels come to Turkish shipyards.