Artificial Intelligence in Maritime

Can Artificial Intelligence (AI) replace some maritime related jobs or actors like agents, suppliers, or seafarers?

1 Like

I think we are moving in that direction, particularly taking into account the developments in autonomous vessels. However, I doubt this will happen in the next 10 years.

1 Like

Although not in the near future, this may happen on the part of the seafarers. Completely unmanned ships have been produced and work as prototypes, but it takes time and a large amount of money to make cargo ships this way and carry out operations such as safe transport, loading and unloading. But in the long run it is possible.

1 Like

I agree with both @aydin-mammadov and @furkan-zblbl, as we are indeed witnessing advancements in AI and autonomous technologies in the maritime sector. While I don’t believe a complete replacement of maritime professionals like agents, suppliers, or seafarers will happen in the near future, AI can certainly enhance their work and help in optimizing operations.

For instance, AI can be used for predictive maintenance, route optimization, and data analysis, which can reduce costs and improve efficiency in the industry. As for autonomous vessels, while the technology is still in its infancy, it has the potential to revolutionize the sector. However, significant investments in research, infrastructure, and regulatory frameworks are required before we see widespread adoption.

Furthermore, it is important to acknowledge that the human element will always be essential in the maritime industry, especially when it comes to critical decision-making and adapting to unforeseen circumstances. AI should be seen as a tool to assist and complement human expertise, rather than an outright replacement.

AI is a form of software and cannot replace jobs that require physical labor. Robotics powered by AI can replace these jobs initially but costs should be much lower for a wide-scale transformation in the industry so I wouldn’t expect it in the next 20 years.

AI can help with back-office tasks of agents, suppliers, and seafarers like reading and responding to emails or optimizing their workflow so it could be a tool to supplement human labor, rather than a replacement.